Thursday, June 3, 2021

Water Apples

                                        
                                                                                                Author:Tu7uh
  Image:1 A Bunch of Jambu (here)

 Image:2 My Jambu tree in a corner of the house compound

Image:3 The first sprig of flowers hidden among the leaves

Image:4 The best way to enjoy jambu as shown above is with 
a dipper comprising soya sauce with cut onions, chilly and a 
dash of celery or mint. Yummy, my mouth just waters!

This is a revamp of an earlier posting 

Jambu tree, at last
You finally spawned some buds
Some years of waiting

The toil and fond care
Overzealous  manuring
Leaves greener than green

December arrived
Wondering what variety
Just eager to see!

The water apple ( Eugenia aquea) is variously known as jambu (Malaysia)  djamboo wer (Indonesia ) tambis (Philippines) chom-phu-pa ( Thailand) and chambekka (Malayalam, India) This is indicative of its wide distribution in South East Asia.

It is succulent and crunchy, some varieties are sweet whilst some are sour. It is available all year round

Just over a week ago I noticed my Jambu tree had spawned its first flowers. I’ve nurtured and applied fertilizers regularly for the past couple of years. I had initially applied NPK but I realized it was not good for the soil. I later got treated organic manure and had positive results  The leaves came with a rich dark green and more luscious than before.This was the day that I had waited for.

Kim at d'Verse Poetics: 
How to cut a Pomegranate

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting and exotic fruit, and one I have not heard of before. Thanks for sharing, Hank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of one, let alone seen one. Thank you for sharing your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed reading about a bit from googling the fruit. Although I live in a hot climate too, it gets a bit chilly for the plant. Enjoy the bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Hank, for introducing me to a new fruit; I have never seen or heard of water apples, and I love the Malaysian name – jambu feels wonderful in the mouth, which I imagine the fruit does too. From the pictures you shared, it looks spectacular. I love that your poem focuses on your joy at the long-awaited buds after so much hard work and care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to read Hank. thenks for sharing.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Find professional fiction writers for hire with us. Connect with thousands of professional writers and hire the perfect ghostwriter for your book

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a serene scene you've described! Your words painted a vivid picture of the water apple tree. It's like reading poetry. Your writing skill reminds me of the intricate designs of a Marble Chess Set - every detail carefully crafted. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete