Wednesday, April 14, 2021

more effective with the smell and sound sensitivities

                                                                                                  Author: Alain Rouiller
Image: Instinct of Motherly Love (here)

Theme: Art and Colours
K is for Keeping Track

I keep trying to be a good mother
It never had been easy
You, humans, think it is simple
You believe truly so, no it is not!
Keeping track of one baby is child-play
You had better rejoice in your good fortune
The most you have perhaps is a pair of twins
Unlucky is the mother with triplets

You think you have problems
I have 5 in the brood
When they were cute little chicks
they all look alike 
But look at me, I know them
from one to the other

Keeping track for me involves smell and 
sounds not physical attributes or colours
I can tell the call of distress from the
specific baby even when hidden behind a wall

Keeping track with motherly instinct 
is the same for humans or us chickens
but numbers even of a dozen 
is of no bother to us

So eat your heart out you human mothers
We chicken mothers are better prepared
and more effective with the added advantage
of smell and sound sensitivities

                                        

Kim at d'Verse in Poetics : The Print the Whales make
A to Z April Challenge  -  K

4 comments:

  1. You win! I'd have a hard time keeping track of one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The challenge of keeping the myriad aspects of one’s life — daunting, but we all must do it daily, or at least try. This was a great description of the challenge of multitasking. Well written Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although rewarding it's hard being a mother. Loved this Hank, well written.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your title made me smile, Hank, as did your poem from the perspective of a mother hen – I could hear her voice in my head! A light-hearted poem, mostly, with great empathy in these touching lines:
    ‘I can tell the call of distress from the
    specific baby even when hidden behind a wall’.

    ReplyDelete