Tuesday, July 21, 2020

the Fab Four, a group one of a kind

                                                                                                Attribution: EMI
Image: Trade ad for Beatles' 1964 Grammys (here)
The ad appeared in the 1 May 1965 issue of Billboard
The ad is not covered by any copyrights for Billboard.

the Fab Four, a group one of a kind 
from the many foursomes of the time
they revolutionize not just the industry
but the whole generation in the 60's

ensemble of trendsetters set hearts fluttering  
a sensation in unison of all the four singing
mop-haired appearance gained acceptance
not considered in furtherance of a bad influence

some adults were steadfast with their stand
an MBE recipient reported of having returned 
it when the Beatles were awarded the same
such mixed reactions previously unknown

Merril's at d'Verse Poetics  - Revolutions

8 comments:

  1. They seem so benign now, don't they? Part of the background, everyone loves them - but at the time they were totally revolutionary. I wonder what is happening now that will be seen as part of the establishment in 50 years' time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, they are definitely one of a kind and caused a revolution in the ‘60s. So many tried to emulate them but never succeeded. I still listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing poem, I love The Beatles, when I sat down to write for this prompt, John's 'Revolution 9' came to my mind and I listened to it..haha it didn't help in any way to come up with the muse though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poem Hank, of course being British I agree the Beatles were a one off, Ihad my teenage years in they hay day. Thanks for the memories,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this interesting take on the prompt. It's funny to remember what a stir they caused--how some people felt so threatened by long hair and things that seem so ridiculous now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely piece. I love the Beatles too, and this is a beautifully written piece. Amazing, amazing poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember well when my father said 20 years later "I don't know why I didn't like the Beatles back then." (K)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hank, Now, I have this playing in my head.

    You say you want a revolution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world
    You tell me that it's evolution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world

    ReplyDelete