Monday, September 4, 2023

What's of a best friend?


Image: 1 The Beak - An Acrylic abstract

Image: 2 An Okra - A Pastel sketch

Images;  Hank's creations done sometime ago

What is going on? 
What about it of having 
a best friend

Not all the time by your side
Though ever willing 
To give a helping hand
To extend empathy 
with a shoulder to cry on
Feisty little darling in good times
Meddlesome sometimes 
invariably an irritant
but a joy to be around with

What is it of the worst 
kind of best friend
Sneaking with a  Brutus’ ploy
To stab in the back
Or a Cassius’ stance
Of every suspicious character

But one of my best friends 
who is more than all that!
Extending inspiration
Stroke by stroke in richness
Colourful in softness
Fulfillment of gaps and emptiness

Just waiting 
Of various types and stature
not answering back
nor biting when angered
to be dipped and splashed freely

Ever willing to capture my imagination
In hues rich in colour
Though often times
I was guilty of leaving them alone
seething with neglect

But a best friend always by my side!
My faithful paint brushes

Sherry's at What's Going On.

13 comments:

  1. To have a best friend is a very special thing. I especially like that a best friend is "ever willing to capture my imagination in hues rich in colour." That sounds wonderful indeed. Glad to see you again, Hank. Look forward to writing poetry with you in community once more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your art work, Hank. So happy you stopped by and wrote to Susan's prompt. I really enjoyed the surprise at the end when your faithful friend turned out to be your paintbrushes. That made me smile. I guess mine is my computer keyboard. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful friend to have by your side. Never one to judge and allows you creative expression. Paint on, Hank- Truedessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back again -- sigh - I missed the twist at the end, Hank. Didn't catch it until Sherry mentioned it. Then I read your poem again. Clever indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend, actually my best friend, Linda, who is suffering from an incurable disease .. ALS. I cannot imagine a world without her. You will have paintbrushes to last a lifetime, Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'a joy to be around with' best describes the friend, 'the faithful paintbrushes'. More color and strength to you. Both the images are vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rather hoped this was a person that you found such rich imagery in. All the way through, I was thinking, oh Hank, you are a lucky man. And you are! To have a friend in art that you can rely on for your own creativity is wonderful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how lovely to see your artwork and poetry. So proud of you Sir Hanks! It seems we are going to the moon together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work, Hank. And paintbrushes won't ever talk bad about you, either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is absolutely lovely, Hank! I so enjoyed the artwork too 💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hank,
    This is a wonderful poem which shares the magnificent ending that your paint brushes bring your such joy and creativity. Full of reward and faithful in their connection to you!
    I hope my comment shows as Eileen T O'Neill, from old days of Poets United!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nicely done Hank. pen, or brush, theres something about having the right tool for the job... -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paint brushes bringing joy can sure be a best friend and let the creative juices flow.

    ReplyDelete