Saturday, August 15, 2020

walking down the aisle to be given away

                                                                  Author: Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest

Image: A Wedding in 1954 (here)

aisle – walkway   
I’ll – contraction of “I will”
isle – island
 
alter – to change
altar – raised centre of worship
 
walking down the aisle to be given away
dad's baby seemingly clinging on for protection
the sadness of losing his little girl has not registered
but the radiance of the moment instead is plainly evident
  
approach to the altar getting nearer with each step
‘I’ll be doing my last duty’ dad whispers quietly
audible to her and nodding agreeably with a smile
such is the drama enacted in both of their hearts
invisible to the guests gathered impatiently waiting
 
no man is an island the groom is just as impatient
a big moment not to be altered mindful what the future holds
he's destined to be head of the household in importance
but he's expected to accept the ultimate and eventual sacrifice
for love giveth as sure as the movement of the sun and tides
of the eventual loss of freedom of his boisterous bachelor days

such is the sacrifice which may seem not fully acknowledged by her
but instead is balanced by the love extended by his lady love

weejar's at MLMM's  Saturday Mix - double take

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful poetry Hank, it touched my heart as my dad was not there to give me away (passed away when I was three) and it only days away from what would have been my wedding anniversary.
    Thanks for sharing this,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bachelor days were rather boring so I was ready for some excitement in my life!

    ReplyDelete