Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Yusuf Hashim with the Berbers - YH#14

Continuing the Yusuf Hashim saga of global travel again and this time 'armed' with a just-acquired 'toy' to make it even more memorable.

This is the Modern Day Explorer #14
The Modern Day Explorer #13  (here)

The given words:  
3WW  -  misery privilege stale

The Haiku
Slow moving camel
train. Misery to the butt
just temporary

Privilege of a
desert journey a unique
experience indeed

Etched in memory
Not in anyway stale but
longing for repeats

                                                                                              Attribution: Yusuf Hashim
Image: 1
Yusuf Hashim says:
This was shot in the Dunes of Merzouga, deep in the Moroccan Sahara near the border with Algeria. We were riding camels to our Berber encampment in the desert. My ass was hurting after an hour on the lead camel of camel train #1 which I led. We were riding parallel to camel train #2 for a few minutes, which enabled me to shoot this photo as they came alongside. — at Sahara Desert, Merzouga

                                                                                             Attribution: Yusuf Hashim
Image: 2
Yusuf Hashim says:
This is Milhoud, a Berber from Essouiria whom I shot framed in one of the tiny doorways of the fortress walls surrounding the mighty fortress on Morocco's Atlantic seafront. — at Sahara Desert, Merzouga.

                                                                          Attribution: Yusuf Hashim
Image: 3
Yusuf Hashim says:
For the gearheads ... all the photos in this post are samples of photos shot with my brand new toy ... the EF 11-24 mm on my 1Dx. I love this lens. Simply brilliant for street photography, and shooting from the hip. I got it it just before I left for Morocco, but I didn't get the 5DsR which hadn't arrived yet. I like this lens so much that this lens hardly left its IDx host the entire time I was in the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara. All other lenses needed were mounted on a battered 5DM2. I came home with just under 400 GB of RAW files. More than half of them shot with the 1Dx/EF11-24mm combo. But you have to be a little careful about shooting people with it although it could be perfect if properly handled as seen in the photo of Milhoud. I believe it's going to be the perfect lens to shoot Miss Aurora Borealis when I go sailing in Greenland in November.

Hank takes the liberty to append Image #3 above just so for those interested in photography. Obviously one needs the right 'tools of trade' to take great pictures.To see more great pictures Yusuf had conveniently compiled them into books and can be accessed below:

Books by Yusuf Hashim
http://www.blurb.com/user/yusufhashim

For Thomg's hosting at 3WW week #429

7 comments:

  1. haha good the misery to the butt was only temporary. great shots every time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet riding a camel is uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anyhow magical too !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are on a real journey of discovery Hank - marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying to get caught up here, but I couldn't help but to laugh at the part where you wrote, "misery to the butt just temporary." A delightful read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I think I've ridden that camel!

    ReplyDelete