Monday, July 17, 2023

Beauty is a blessing

                                                                                        Artist: L da Vinci 
Image:  The Beauty of Mona Lisa (here)

For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terrorRainer Maria Rilke

Beauty is a blessing unto those who are privileged. It is not
a monopoly of the chosen few but extended to a few by divine
choice. Many vie for it knowing of the benefits of being admired
which may come from suitors attracted to it.

This will create a demand and a tendency to possess what 
the many others can only wish for. Invariably it will plant feelings
of envy which may translate into innocent jealousy or to reactions
more violent in nature for beauty is nothing but the beginning 
of terror. Beauty is there to be seen but those not having it would
have designs of wanting to destroy or cause likely damage.

It can be the beauty of a Cinderella or an object like Mona Lisa 
which endured envy and acts of violence contrary to expectations
Thus terror is preceded by beauty.
(144 words)

Hank's Reading of the Quote:
Beauty is not terror, but the beginning to a  terror: it is terror which 
does not threaten yet nor is there an immediate danger 

Mish at d'Verse - Prosery-rainer-maria-rilke/

7 comments:

  1. Nice rundown on the ways of beauty, Hank. I liked your reference to a couple of supposedly ladies. I used another, you wouldn't guess until you peek in. I don't name mine but the illustration fits. Got to have a picture, you know. That's what my daughter has told me, so I went that way. '
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read your micro essay several time, Hank, before I understood its dark underbelly. I fear, though, that we will never really understand people who ‘have designs of wanting to destroy or cause likely damage’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Hank.

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are dark, wise words, Hank.

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this analysis of beauty and terror, bringing in the line so seamlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings Hank! For me, beauty begins on the inside and works its way ever so carefully outward to the surface ... I enjoyed your Prosery piece.

    ReplyDelete