Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Quiet and Tired

                                                                                                            Author: Jim Fischer

Image: Forty winks
(courtesy of Wikimedia Commons under its 
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license)

A bundle of heap
He laid still in a stupor
Oblivious of stares

The bench was god-sent
One of the many homeless!
The crowd sympathized 

Looked spent and tired
Perhaps lost his wallet and
slowly walking home

Or resting awhile
Had one too many and stoned 
on leaving the pub

Dora at d'Verse Poetics: Lyric Petrologies

10 comments:

  1. Nice one Hank 👏 I like that first line 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting take on the prompt and the use of the word stoned. The bench was god-sent a place to rest. Sadly, this is a reality of life for some people homelessness is a real issue in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to see but you never know what led to that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me, Hank. I didn't see "stoned" coming and every other geologist would throw up their hands and cry "out of bounds"! Lucky for you, I'm not a geologist. 🙂

    Is this guy homeless because of poverty or a hopeless drunk who can't find his way home? I'm curious about his back story. A bench is a hard place to sleep. "A bundle of heap" is just such a perfect description.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice ingerpretation of the prompt
    Bravo

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smiled at the conclusion with the stoned...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living in urban Oregon, I live and move among the homeless everyday. ANd you are right you never know why they are sleepin out on the bench or street during the day, regardless its sad to see. I liked your intrepretation on the prompt, Hank! 💛

    ReplyDelete
  9. Respite along the way is always welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the story-telling - you show a lot between the lines - Jae

    ReplyDelete