Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Not to pass off something unusual

                                                                                                  Attribution: Takeaway
Image: Ready to eat Herring (here)

Not to pass off something unusual
Typically common and freely available
Herring with chopped onions that was the call
To be gulped slowly in ways casual
To the many road-side takeaway stalls
Hank followed as shown by the locals

First was to pick it up by the tail
Roll it over the chopped onions
To hold it then in front of the face
To slowly lower it into the mouth
They took little gulps with such relish
That was the way to take herring
Hank not realizing it was all raw fish

Hank was in Holland many years ago

Note:
Apparently they added in the right amount
of salt into the containers at sea so that it
was seasoned enough upon reaching shore

For Mary's at PU's
Poetry Pantry #310

24 comments:

  1. I think I would have passed this one Hank.
    Great verse to read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blah, fish of any kind, especially raw, I'd run from

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my delicious! How lucky you were to have visited Holland too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Hank,
    Not sure about eating raw fish! I'll have it fried first then enjoy it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this: it's fun and playful - and not at all fishy. lol. Good one, Hank!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to have visited Holland. I could see them and feel the pleasure of their enjoying the fish in little gulps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O-oh... think I'd like it better pan fried with spices!!! Must go to Holland though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Real Dutch food ... however, I am from The Netherlands, but I don't eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I was married to a Dutchman for 27 years. Well, he became an Aussie at a young age after migrating, but still loved his herring, and I learned to love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you should try our famous fermented herring... (on the other hand I have friends from Malaysia who say they love it)... Personally I prefer to have my salted herring pickled before eating it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly an unusual way to eat fish for many, but very healthy, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would give it a go. I'll try almost anything...once.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it was cooked, I would try it. I do love seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it maybe Norway where the welcome gift is not only raw fish but mouldy raw fish - so maybe Hank got lucky! Well done on giving it a go however :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, this looks a bit TOO unusual for me, Hank. I think I would pass...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, it looks a tad bit queer :) excellent write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are much braver than I. I would not taste this delicacy. I was in Holland too, many years ago. It's one part of the culture I refuse to partake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not a fan of the raw fish thing, and yet I envy you the experience. You definitely brought it to life. I could almost smell it. Ew. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to try new things--pretty lively piece Hank!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't eat raw fish, but as long as you enjoyed it then that is all that matters :)

    ReplyDelete