Saturday, September 19, 2020

unashamedly laid bare

                                 
                                                                                      Author:Brooke Shaden

Image: A Flaming Heart (here)

drowned my sorrow 
with a flaming heart
is there no tomorrow 
now that it is apart

rightly open to abuse 
set to be duly warned
is it of any excuse
to discard all the warmth

unashamedly laid bare
exposed fully my soul 
aren't you to forebear
and rightly be bold

my blood my life sentence
not for an empty sacrifice
despite being overwhelmed 
just don't believe their lies

Fireblossom's at Sunday Muse  #126

12 comments:

  1. Luv the questioning intro and the resolve to accept truth
    Happy Sunday Hank

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having one's heart open sadly does put it vulnerable to hurt. I love the beautiful rhyme and honesty in this Hank! Lovely poetry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "my blood my life sentence / not for an empty sacrifice" - yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. exposing one's soul leaves one vulnerable. Often one ends up hurt or rejected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always exercise caution, I say. Thanks for being part of this week's Muse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "drowned my sorrow with a flaming heart." So apt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How descriptive of the abject misery of laying one's heart bare and having it rejected! Hopefully like Sisyphus, we climb from the depths to trust again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well written sir, a vivid perspective of vulnerability... excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Hank, that title is gripping! Leading the reader to the poem, not wanting to miss a word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful gripping read Hank. Well done.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That clash of drowned sorrows/flaming heart is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love everything about this poem, including the title!

    ReplyDelete